Peräseinäjoki first became a chapel parish of Ilmajoki in 1798. It was then an independent parish from 1882 until 2005, when it was merged into the Seinäjoki parish. Today, Peräseinäjoki is one of the independent chapel parishes of Seinäjoki.
The church is located in the centre of the village, and is also known as Pyhän Paavalin kirkko (St. Paul’s). Designed by the county architect Ivar Aminoff, the wooden cross-shaped church was completed in 1892 and has three galleries. The earlier church building was demolished when the new one was finished. The new church can seat up to 1,000 people. The altarpiece depicting the Resurrection was painted by Vaasa-born artist Aleksandra Frosterus-Såltin in 1905. An alms box figure made by Heikki Mikkilä stands at the main entrance. The church features a votive ship, which is a miniature sailing ship rarely found in churches further inland. Votive ships were usually donated by shipwreck survivors. The ship’s name is Teekla and it is held in the vestry. It was restored by Matti Laine and is thought to have been originally made by Johan Jaakonpoika Valkava.