The Suojeluskunta & Lotta Svärd Museum operates in the headquarters of the South Ostrobothnia Civil Guard designed by Alvar Aalto. This three-storey building represents refined neoclassicism and includes features from functionalism and Ostrobothnian building traditions. Some of the interiors, furniture, light fittings and decorative details were also designed by Aalto. In addition to the main building, Aalto’s design includes the two-storey brick outdoor building, the wooden shed and the pergola. The buildings and the yard were assigned protected building status in 2002. One of the reasons for the decision was that the interiors of the main building still retain some of the original 1925 materials and paint surfaces. The Suojeluskuntalainen statue represents a civil guard and was sculpted by Professor Pentti Papinaho. The main building houses exhibition and meeting rooms, an information point and a museum shop. The outbuilding has further exhibition spaces and the museum’s back office.
Listen more on Civil Guard’s Headquarters here: https://tarinasoitin.fi/seinajoenaalto/en/20luku