Alajärvi is closely tied to Alvar Aalto’s childhood and youth. The Aaltos, who moved from Kuortane to Jyväskylä in 1903, spent their summers in the Rottala house in Kurejoki village from 1907 onward. J.H. Aalto bought a house in the centre of Alajärvi soon after the Finnish civil war, and Alvar was also registered in Alajärvi from 1918-25. Alvar and Aino Aalto spent their summers in Villa Flora, the house they built on the shore at Pynttäri, for about two decades starting in the mid 1920s.
The Alajärvi Aalto Centre is made up of buildings in the city centre, including the municipal offices, parish meeting hall, youth association hall, county hospital, the house called Väinölä that Aalto designed for his brother and the city library which was finished by Alvar Aalto’s architectural office. The set of Aalto sites in Alajärvi is completed by the gravestones designed by Alvar and the summer residence, Villa Flora, designed by his first wife Aino.
Alajärvi is located about 70 km from Seinäjoki and can be reached by car.
More information: nelimarkkamuseo.fiWEBSITE