050 405 4584
The Nurmo Church was built by Antti and Kaappo Hakola. The church was consecrated in 1779 after Nurmo had finally been granted permission to become a parish and the old unauthorised sermon rooms had become too small for purpose. The church was built next to the old sermon rooms and is surrounded by a small graveyard, which has since been extended several times. The churchyard also has a 1928-built chapel, which is today used to hold the deceased before the burial, and a bell tower with an alms box figure constructed by Heikki Mikkilä in 1840. The church has been renovated many times over the years, and its original colour was red. It was changed to its current light colour in 1913.
The interior is dominated by Väinö Hämäläinen’s work titled Jesus and the Samaritan woman from 1914. The church can seat 650 people. The last major refurbishment project took place in 1979. The church was renovated inside and out, with close attention to the original design. New church textiles designed by Kerttu Vihko-Voipio were introduced at the same time. The vestry and restrooms were refurbished in 2015.
Nurmo became a chapel parish of Seinäjoki in the 2009 parish reform.